Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Better Than My Plan

I know it has been a while since my last post, but I promise to start writing more.....


If you met me 10 years ago would you want to be my friend? I hope not.
If you met me 4 years ago would you want to be my friend? I hope not.
If you met me today would you want to be my friend? I don't know, and that's ok!

If you met me 10 years ago and asked me where I would be in 10 years; my answer would be simple, married 2.5 children, a dog, a home owner, a history teacher and living the "perfect life.

If you met me 4 years ago and asked me where I would be in 4 year; my answer would be simple, married, at least 1 child, a couple of dogs, maybe a small house, probably working retail, and enjoying a simple life.

I NEVER would have imagined that I would be unemployed, living at home, never married, with no children, and no perspective of any of the "dreams" from 10 or even 4 years ago coming true.

With all of that said, and with shock in my own heart, I honestly feel so blessed and loved to have my life just the way it is!


A couple of weeks ago our pastor at church said something that has been playing over and over in my head and has really brought me peace. To paraphrase, he said that the Lord has a plan for all of us. Sometimes the plan is marriage and a ton of kids running around, sometimes it isn't.

4 years ago Jimmy told me that the Lord has a plan for all of us. It isn't our job to understand the plan, it isn't our job to run the plan, and it isn't our job to question the plan. It is only our job to live the plan.


I may not be married, but I have WONDERFUL friends who are married, who include me without making me a 3rd wheel, and who show how the Lord's love really is the center of the covenant of marriage.

I may not be seeing/dating/going steady/in a romantic relationship/ or whatever else you want to call it, but I have FABULOUS friends who still make time for girl time, who still invite me to try new things, and who wear the Lord's love on their sleeves.

I may not have children of my own, but I have lots that I can borrow, play with, and watch/help grow. I have FANTASTIC families who have invited me into their lives and who trust me with their children, and include me in their lives. I also have friends who have chosen to honor us by keeping my family; and particularly Jimmy alive in their lives by naming their sons after Jimmy. Some of “my” children have been medical blessings and others are medical mysteries, but they are ALL blessings in my life.

I may not have my own house, but I am blessed to have the BEST parents, who love me, support my decisions, and let me demo and remodel their house, even when they don't love my choice in color, they still love me.

I never became a teacher, but I still have a passion to teach and show, whether it is talking to people about history, going to a museum with friends, helping a kid (pre-teen) understand why history is important in their life, or just showing someone the Lord's love. I don’t have to have a certificate, or take a test to be a teacher, just have passion and love those around me.

I may be unemployed right now, but the Lord has used this time to bring me closer to him in my own community and halfway across the world in Croatia. He has opened up my heart and showed me his love and grace, none of which I deserve, but yet he gives it to me freely.


My life has NOT followed my plan for it. And I absolutely do NOT understand the Lord's plan for me. But I LOVE this plan and all of the people that this plan has brought into my life. I KNOW that there is a reason why each and every one of you is my friend. Some of the relationships, I understand, and some I don't yet, but I am blessed to have you in my life and I can't thank you enough for being with me through this perfectly planned plan that is completely beyond our understanding!

1 comment:

  1. Great post Jamie! His ways are not our ways!! And I surely can attest to that. Glad the Lord is working in your heart with the absolute peace only He can give. Love ya girl

    ReplyDelete